Pages

Friday, August 21, 2009

First Stanza From Keats Endymion

A THING of beauty is a joy for ever:
Its loveliness increases; it will never
Pass into nothingness; but still will keep
A bower quiet for us, and a sleep
Full of sweet dreams, and health, and quiet breathing.
Therefore, on every morrow, are we wreathing
A flowery band to bind us to the earth,
Spite of despondence, of the inhuman dearth
Of noble natures, of the gloomy days,
Of all the unhealthy and o'er-darkened ways
Made for our searching: yes, in spite of all,
Some shape of beauty moves away the pall
From our dark spirits. Such the sun, the moon,
Trees old and young, sprouting a shady boon
For simple sheep; and such are daffodils
With the green world they live in; and clear rills
That for themselves a cooling covert make
'Gainst the hot season; the mid forest brake,
Rich with a sprinkling of fair musk-rose blooms:
And such too is the grandeur of the dooms
We have imagined for the mighty dead;
All lovely tales that we have heard or read:
An endless fountain of immortal drink,
Pouring unto us from the heaven's brink.

~Keats

8 comments:

  1. Keats is everywhere, as of late!
    And I had such hope I could pull him in and let him in and know him and I find he sails right out my ears. I am so frustrating! Why can I not read the great ones?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree, some of these masters are difficult to read. Probably because we are not familiar with some of the context and their form is exceedingly beautiful. My form is no form and I want to change that (for some pieces, not everything) read the great ones and improve. I haven't read much of the great ones either, and that is because I didn't major in english and am only now seeking them out. So there are quite a few that I am looking forward to reading (as I get the time). Thank you so much for commenting, I feel your pain.

    SG

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am into Shelley because where I live his son owned the land where our house is built and he also owned a Manor nearby. Keats abd Byron was great friends of Percy Byshee Shelley. I loved your post and really enjoyed your write.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Keats, but I most love the work of Dylan Thomas. It's as he purposely challenged himself to structure pieces in the most complicated manner possible. The effect is beauty, but it takes more than one read to understand the rhythm. It's very rewarding to "get him" and thrilling to hear him read his own works on CD. I have tried for years to get various friends and family to enjoy "A Child's Christmas in Wales" because it gets better with every listen/read. So far I've had no takers! (Am I the only writer in my circle?? Surely not!)

    Look it up when the holidays roll around this winter. A brilliant piece--an example of the greatness of poetry, and one man's mastery of structure.

    Ananji

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not familiar with Keats, find it kinda like shakespeare, difficult to read as I read this one, but it seems keats brought out some words I have not even heard of, yet some sensuality. like to read more

    ReplyDelete
  6. SG-I've read this three times now, trying to understand his emotion. I find hope and still an attraction to the gloom I so often find in Keats. I need to clear the webs in my head, I think. ~rick

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that Keats is discussing here the comfort that beauty can be to the sensibilities when life so often is harsh and ugly.

    Thank you all for the comments, it has been interesting to see what you think.

    Plus, I am no great learned reader of poetry, I have just begun a serious study. I am aware of the names of quite a few of the great poets, but not familiar to any great degree with their work. Also, unfortunantly, I must confess to not being too familiar with the great writers and their works, a familiarity with name and general knowledge of their works applies here as well. I am studying them though. I just finished reading "A Tale of Two Cities," and "Pride and Prejudice." Now I am starting "Sense and Sensibility." Plus I have a copy of Robert Frosts "The Road Not Taken" (and I really enjoy his New England tang!)It is an interesting study, becoming familiar with the masters.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is an excellent piece! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete