Pages

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Do Not Stand at My Grave and Weep (Classic)

Do not stand at my grave and weep;
I am not there. I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glints on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning's hush.
I am the swift uplifting rush
of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry;
I am not there. I did not die.

By Mary Elizabeth Frye

7 comments:

  1. Annie-
    I'm the poop
    the birds leave upon your stoop
    the hush
    that follows the swirled flush
    the pee, in yellow spray
    beside the sidewalk
    on a snow powder day.
    Sorry, we can't all be diamonds. but glad you are. It is a lovely poem. And I agree. don't weep for me. ~rick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely words that are so comforting.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this at my grandmothers funeral

    Poignant for me right now

    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. this brought tears to my eyes. This was read by one of my sisters when we buried our brother in 1993.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This, I love. Now, how to become these things while we still have these pesky bodies...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rick, you crack me up!

    Yvonne, thank you for the comment.

    Michelle, I guess it would be poignant. I hope it brought to mind good memories of your grandmother though.

    Inky, how tragic when those we love die young. I wish good memories for you as well.

    Erin, you are spot on, I love to think of life like that. For me what comes close is being absorbed in some great classical piece of music.

    ReplyDelete