Pages

Monday, June 22, 2009

Running

Running, running, down the sidewalk, by the river which is rushing.

Rushing over stone and cascading over falls.

Running in a careening, loose sort of way feet falling over feet bringing emotions to the surface, joy and sadness mixed together.

Limping, limping down the sidewalk unsure of where to go, with the lights of the street sitting dimly in their orbs, no inspiration. Just turn around and make it work.

Balancing on the railroad tracks, listening for the train, the echos sounding in the distance as though trapped by the trees and the fields which hold many lost sounds.

Running away, being chased by the sadness, the anger, questioning why? What now? What should I do?

Running in the sand dunes, each footfall causing the sand to cascade down with gravitational attraction to the earth. Each footfall causing your muscles to ache with the effort until you reach the top where you collapse panting for breath.

Walking, carrying the weight of your burdens on your shoulders, shrugging to loose them, shrugging with self doubt, you look only briefly at a strangers face and paste on a smile that you are sure they know to be fake.

Carrying your little one home from the store, wondering how they did it in days of old, how their arms held out as they were driven, driven from their homes out into the snow where there footprints were seen as bloody shadows of their beaten owners.

Watching as the powerlines glide over the night sky, between the stars out in the open field as you drive trying to find that lost place where no one will hear as you ask the questions that no one has answers to, no one but God.

Then you run, run by the lake as your emotions run out and you gaze out at the moon on the water, highlighting the ripples as the wind blows.

8 comments:

  1. This is a piece I did several months ago. Ajay's song "Blink" reminded me of it for some reason. (Plus the reference to running in my other post)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alas, I must admit that I have done more limping than anything else. Hopefully, my time of being carried on wings of Eagles will soon come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you serious Fishy? (sorry can't help calling you that)

    As beautiful as the imagry of being carried on the wings of Eagles is... it makes you sound like your waiting around to die, OI'

    ReplyDelete
  4. Much to my chagrin, that is actually true. For it does bring me some comfort to now know that all that I have had to endure has been for the ultimate good of all concerned, but I have been ready for it to be over for quite some time now. Of course, being carried on wings of Eagles can also apply to being delivered from adversity in a way that does not involve physical death, and I would welcome that, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't think I could run that far anymore. Can I bike? but I do know of this place of questions of which you speak. been there~rick

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can so relate first part of this post. I began reading this faster and faster as I went along. But, these are the keywords ringing in my head (now, that I have read this more than twice); let me know if I am right.

    This is the progress I'm deciphering from this piece - hopelessness -> helplessness

    Even if I have got it wrong, I must add, I loved this piece. It is simple flow and the thought process that I loved here.

    Keep writing SG!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very interesting read Strawberry Girl,
    Much thought must have gone into writing this,
    I enjoyed reading very much.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all so much for your comments. You've got it right Ajay, good interpretation. Actually this came out without much thought Yvonne, I was writing emotions.

    ReplyDelete