Pages

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Cowboy Camelot

*One of my favorite pieces, my Great Grandpa was a "Cow Puncher" which I suppose meant that he broke in horses. Plus my Uncle Mo is a dyed in the wool cow boy, owns a cafe up the hill from here with his girlfriend.

There is a once upon a time, that exists in my heart.

I can see the daylight breaking over the horizon, crackling morning campfires, and blue hazy smoke curling lazily in the air.

Morning in a Cowboy's Camelot

Biscuits and bacon eaten with appreciation while sitting round the campfire balancing plates on knees.

Listening to the dawn chorus of the birds. How do's and mornin's spoken with drawling tongue and twinkling eye, amusement about life in general.

Cowboys with their leather and beads, their feathers and weaves, a tip of the hat, a bit of a tease.

I can smell oiled leather and smoke in the western store. Hear boots on the wooden floors, bells tinkling on swinging doors.

See the barrels and bins full of horseshoes and pins. Rough hemp rope curled on the ground, sand and dust all around. Saddles and deer heads hanging, country music playing.

A cowboys haven

There is still something within me that recalls, swirling fires in the dessert, dusty tumble weeds over a hot trail, sand and sage, dry dessert air, nickering horses, snakes rustling through tall grasses, the coursing of streams down high mountain passes.

Out on the trail with the cowboy

Whisky and whiskers, old spice and pomade, reclining against a log as melancholy chords are strummed, the pick of the banjo, harmonicas drone, chaps and spurs golden in the firelight, comfortable as the red and azure blues fade from the sky in the west.

The cowboys evening salute to the stars

10 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great evening, as long as you've kept rattlesnakes, scorpions and bathroom facilities from the experience. We've so imprisoned ourselves within the confines of walls that few of us ever notice a sunrise, truly. Nice thoughts. ~rick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a piece of work. I DO love the long rhymers - writing them and reading them. Well done!

    "See the barrels and bins full of horseshoes and pins. Rough hemp rope curled on the ground, sand and dust all around."

    All of it well timed with great imagery!

    anaji

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very realistic and enjoyable to read.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  4. one of my favorite pieces of yours...why are all the comments dated 2009 and i'm just seeing this today? hope all is well amiga...hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm, lovely thoughts darling! Nice imagery! Muwah!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing writing again! A mix of prose and poetry, the realistic imagery and the flow of emotions, all so wonderful and beautiful.

    May I request you to drop by my blog sometime convenient. I would like to know what you think about my pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your storytelling and the poetic flow of your words. You paint quite a picture. Visiting from Brosreview site. You have a wonderful space here as well : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. You take me into another world, and it is magical.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I grew up breaking in horses, but not in the desert. I've never seen a real cactus or tumbleweed; your words paint an exquisite picture. Combing the nostalgia of my own experiences, this pieces moves me completely. I very much enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow.. just magical.. Wish I could spend more time the laps of nature :)

    ReplyDelete